Hi Everyone!

Fred Richards Fred.Richards at kayaker.com
Fri May 1 07:42:47 PDT 2009

I'm planning on using Wanproxy in a branch/main office situation where
we would need to cut down some of the chatter seen by SMB (windows drive
shares).  I realize this is what many of the "big boys" do for wan
optimization.  The good news is all the traffic happens over tcp/445.

My plan is to have a mac 10.5 machine on each end of the link, one as
the server (in the main office location) and one as the client (in the
branch location).

My trouble is coming from directing port 445 to those two devices... my
setup looks like so:

(Win Server w/ Shares) --> (Mac Server w/ Wanproxy) ---  T1 w/ VPN ---
(Mac Client w/ Wanproxy) --> (Win Client)

Directing the Win Client should be easy, I can "fake" local dns, stick
the hostname it's looking for in the hosts file, etc.  The trick is to
direct the server side from wanproxy to the appropriate server.  Guess I
could use a cisco route map if necessary...