WANProxy 0.6.0 release notes

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Sun Nov 22 04:08:51 PST 2009

WANProxy 0.6.0 is now available from Subversion and on the web!

Subversion: http://wanproxy.org/svn/releases/wanproxy-0.6.0
WWW: http://wanproxy.org/releases/wanproxy-0.6.0.tar.gz

This release features:
o) The XCodec protocol has been redesigned entirely to support
handling requests for previously-sent data, and to use a more compact
encoding.
o) The XCodec decoder has been rewritten.
o) The XCodec hash function has been simplified.  This results in a
small increase in the rate of collisions but a much faster hash.  In
the future, this will probably change again.

Bugs fixed:
o) A possible crash (or assertion failure) in handling invalid
back-references was fixed.

Note: This release is more experimental than usual.  Non-trivial and
comparatively-invasive changes were made to add support for the
exchange of previously-sent data.  In particular, determining whether
a connection can be closed or needs to stay open to service such
requests adds considerable complexity and interactions between objects
that used to be independent.  I have observed hangs on connections
that would have reset previously but which now exchange
previously-sent data.  As this represents a major step towards being
able to deploy WANProxy in production, I opted to push the release
now.