Using WAN Proxy for WAN Optimization

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Thu Oct 22 22:31:45 PDT 2009

Hi Ahmed,
You'll need some other program to take all of your network traffic and
encapsulate it in a TCP stream.  I'm not sure what the best one to suggest
is.  I put off replying because I expected to get a good idea but I haven't.

You're probably best off starting with one application that it's easy to
observe the effects of.  HTTP is easy, if you'd like me to help you with
that.  If you're just optimizing access to one remote HTTP-based system,
that's easy.  If you want to optimize all HTTP traffic, you'll have to
configure the clients to use a SOCKS proxy, and then you can use SOCKS to
tunnel the connections across your WAN and make the outbound connections at
the other side, across an optimized link.

Let me know what you'd like to try and I'll do my best to help.

Thanks,
Juli.