WAN Acceleration Techniques used in WANProxy?

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Tue Sep 15 19:10:58 PDT 2009

It depends what you're looking to do, I suppose.

Is your goal to be able to do transparent proxying or to deduplicate a
stream of packets why may or may not be TCP going between two
Ethernets or IP networks?

For transparent proxying, you just need a network stack that will let
you terminate any TCP stack (I know there are patches for FreeBSD and
Linux floating around to do this and presume at least one has
implemented it.)  Setting up WANProxy to pass around the necessary
information to spoof the source would be pretty easy, as would
whatever is necessary to have it listen promiscuously.

If you want to deal with a stream of packets, it would be easy enough
to add pcap support (or BPF directly) to WANProxy and to send those
packets either encapsulated in (deduplicated) UDP datagrams or along a
(deduplicated) TCP stream.

Both of those are pretty straightforward and portable enough for my tastes.

The biggest obstacles, in my view, are still the well-known deficiency
in the XCodec around previously-sent data (which makes WANProxy not
quite productionable if you have more than one stream) and the lack of
any kind of way to pass out-of-band data around neatly, either by
making the proxy protocol a bit heavier (right now it is just a stream
that is either encoded or not as determined by the configuration file)
or by sending connection information on an auxiliary channel.  The
former is within sight, but I haven't had a good 5-8 hour chunk to do
it.  The latter is less straightforward but important if we're going
to talk about things like transparent proxying.

Juli.