wanproxy performance

Mallett, Juli juli at clockworksquid.com
Fri Dec 3 19:53:02 PST 2010

Hi Uttam,

Can you give me some information on the systems that you are running
WANProxy on?  You should see deduplication in each direction, although
they are, right now, independent — that is, if you upload a file and
then download it, you won't get the benefit.  This is a short-term
shortcoming that did not used to exist, but is necessary during a
transitional period in which I am working on improving support for
many-clients, many-servers models of use, as opposed to the old
one-client one-server model.  I think that your test involves multiple
downloads of the same file, so you should see performance improvements
on download.

I have a few more questions (and will flesh out the one I started this
message with):

1) Are you using a Subversion-built version or an old release?
2) Are the systems WANProxy is running on very fast?  I'm wondering if
2Mbps is as fast as the build of WANProxy you are using can run — it
seems unlikely since that is quite slow, but I want to be sure.  I've
made a lot of performance improvements lately, so if you're running a
Subversion build this should definitely not be the problem unless you
are running on systems with very slow RAM or CPU.
3) Are you in fact doing multiple downloads and multiple uploads for
your tests of the same file, or are you doing an upload and then a
download and then another upload or...what?

I hope that we can resolve your performance issues!

Thanks,
Juli.