wanproxy performance

Uttam Singh us at iptvlabs.com
Sat Dec 4 07:11:56 PST 2010

Hi Juli

Thanks for your prompt response

I see your point, my performance results may be system bound.

My Wanproxy systems have the following specs:

- 1.6GHz dual-core Atom
- 2GB 533MHz DDR2 memory
- FreeBSD 8.0 Stable dedicated for wanproxy
- each system is running build wanproxy-0.6.2 downloaded from
http://wanproxy.org/releases/wanproxy-0.6.2.tar.gz

- In my tests I am trying to get best results possible, I am doing
multiple transfers in succession (i.e. upload multiple times and then
download multiple times)

I changed my WAN settings to 5Mbps symmetrical (up/down).

Now I get following results while transferring same file multiple times:

No Wan Proxy:
 - Up: 4Mbps
 - Down: 4Mbps

Wan Proxy:
 - Up: 3.23Mbps
 - Down: 2.71Mbps

So compression may be adding to the latency here. Maybe given the
system spec, this is only meaningful for slow links (1Mbps or, less).
Though I don't quite understand why the CPU usage stats are so low.
Also, there is still a material performance difference between upload
and download - which is an anomaly.

Please see other comments inline >>