Detecting wanproxy on peer

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Mon May 17 17:11:58 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 16:36, Candy Floss <cndflss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to find out if the decoder is running on the peer? Let's
> say I encode file using wanproxy on machine X and send it to the peer Y on
> which the wanproxy has to decode the file. Let's say for some reason
> wanproxy on peer Y is not working. Is there any mechanism where I can detect
> this and if wanproxy on the peer is not working?

How are you defining "not working"?  If you're asking about solving
the halting problem then, no, that's not going to happen :)  In
general, though, if WANProxy isn't working I would expect that you
just wouldn't get a connection.  If you never receive a HELLO from the
remote peer, I think it's safe to say something is busted.  It would
be possible to add a configurable timeout after which we would decide
that peer is down if it hasn't sent a HELLO after connection setup.
This would be especially useful when combined with connection pools
and an active peer table.  There is no such facility today.

Juli.