TCP optimization

Diego Woitasen diego at woitasen.com.ar
Fri Feb 3 05:12:07 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Roy Warner <thisroywarner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been testing WANProxy for a while.
> I happen to ran into this today - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDY
>
> And thought of this thread, and if this could help in any way to improve the
> speed.
> I'm not to technical, but just thought it's worth to share.
>
> All the Best,
> Roy
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Diego Woitasen <diego at woitasen.com.ar>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Juli Mallett <juli at clockworksquid.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Diego,
>> >
>> > A connection pool is indeed good and desirable, but I'm not sure about
>> > the overhead — I think we would need just as many roundtrips to
>> > establish the new session on an existing connection as to establish a
>> > new one; the thing which really saves is to put multiple proxied
>> > streams onto a single connection, but as you likely know, that breaks
>> > TCP's semantics somewhat — but it's still worth doing in some
>> > scenarios.
>>
>> Why do you think that there is performance problem? I think that to
>> maintain a pool of connections is easy and cheap (again, I think).
>> I'll try to experiment around this.
>>
>> Multiplexing is great, but it's more complex. You need to implement a
>> protocol inside TCP for stream identification, stream flow control,
>> etc.
>>

>> > Overall, I think multiplexing, connection pooling, etc., should all be
>> > easy to implement well and prove very useful in many circumstances.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Juli.

>> --
>> Diego Woitasen

Looks interesting. That's why I posted to the list, to exchange ideas :)

Look like HTTP oriented, but may be it can be used for other protocols.

In the past, I've studied SCTP which is great (multiple streams/flows
per connection) but doesn't support flow control per stream. SPDY, in
a quick look, supports that. I'll read the specs carefully.

Thanks for the information.

--
Diego Woitasen