On disk-cache: COSS

Diego Woitasen diego at woitasen.com.ar
Mon Jul 2 18:36:05 PDT 2012

Hi,
 In one of my previous mails I commented about an implementation of on
disk cache using BDB. I dropped it. I was easy and quick to implement
at first but has some drawbacks. The main was the reason was the DB
pruning, very slow in BDB. I wrote a new on-disk cache based on the
Squid COSS storage. COSS was designed to handle small objects up to
some defined size, very similar to the segments used in Wanproxy.

 You can find information about how it works here:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CyclicObjectStorageSystem
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~squid/squid/3-trunk/view/head:/src/fs/coss/coss-notes.txt

and in the comments of this file:
https://github.com/diegows/wanproxy/blob/coss/xcodec/cache/coss/xcodec_cache_coss.h

The current implementation is a draft, works but it should be cleaned improved.

I also opened some ticket in my Github clone, some of them related to
my code and some of them related to the original code.

https://github.com/diegows/wanproxy/issues

Regards,
 Diego

--