Feature announcement: SSH optimization.

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Sun Sep 30 23:51:21 PDT 2012

All,

I have added support for optimizing SSH connections to the latest
Subversion sources.  It is not without bugs, but most are related to
configuration and proxy shutdown, or are simply memory leaks.  It's
possible that there are exploitable holes in the SSH protocol support
itself, particularly around key exchanges, where I have not been as
thorough in writing the code as I might have normally.  Still, I think
the results are very cool and exciting and wanted to share them with a
wider audience.

You can find more information, including some sample transfers, here:
    http://wanproxy.org/ssh.shtml

I think that makes WANProxy the first WAN optimization software to
support proxying and deduplicating SSH traffic, and certainly the
first open source software to do so.  Given the number of people who
use SSH directly or indirectly for things like off-site backups,
transferring files between offices, etc., I think you'll agree that
this is an important feature.

Thanks,
Juli.