iperf test with wanproxy

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Tue Aug 20 00:55:42 PDT 2013

First, as for simplifying, you can use references to other fields in your
config, which might simplify things, e.g. "set if2.port $peer0.port" or
similar.

Since you've already disabled the codecs (which means you won't get any
optimization, but is useful for testing), I'd suggest you go step-by-step
verifying that things work as expected.

So first, log in to 4.4.4.4, and use something to try making a socks
connection there via port 3302, e.g. curl with --socks5 or whatever.

Then try using 4.4.4.4:3301 as a socks proxy from your local system that's
running WANProxy.  See if you can even reach it with netcat or telnet if
that doesn't work for some reason.

If that works, then I'd guess there's some problem with redsocks — does it
do any logging or could you turn any on?  My first guess would be that it's
failing to authenticate properly since WANProxy doesn't support
authentication.

You may try passing -v to each WANProxy instance, and then see if WANProxy
logs anything.

Likewise, you could use tcpdump on each system to see what traffic is being
generated.  You seem pretty comfortable with networking, but if you need
help with that let me and/or the list know.

Thanks,
Juli.