Unable to make wanproxy

Patrick Kelsey kelsey at ieee.org
Wed Jan 15 20:11:45 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Anand S <anandtech22 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>       Iam trying to build wanproxy code (taken from trunk) in Ubuntu.
>      When I do make in the top directory I get the following error -
>      undefined reference to `uinet_initialize_thread' in
> common/thread/thread_posix.cc:214
>      and
>      undefined reference to `clock_gettime' in common/time/time.cc:42.
> It looks like c++ code will not reference from c code if they are not
> properly linked.

Hi Anand,

There were a couple of issues here that I have fixed on trunk this evening.

The first was that the integration of libuinet into the wanproxy build
system was not complete, and as a result many sample programs would fail to
build with errors the same or similar to the thread_posix.cc problem above.

The second was that, at least on Ubuntu, librt had to be added to the link
stage to pick up clock_gettime.

> When I try to compile lib/libuinet separately I get the following error-
> uinet_arc4random.c:35:26: fatal error: openssl/rand.h: No such file or
> directory
> This file is not present in the wanproxy code.

You need to have libssl-dev installed (sudo apt-get install libssl-dev).

You will also need to have netmap installed.

> Please tell me what should I do to build wanproxy along with uinet..

Currently, you must build libuinet first, then build wanproxy.

On Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS, I found that I had to manually set COMPILER_TYPE to
gcc to build libuinet, as in:
....lib/libuinet$ make COMPILER_TYPE=gcc

Also, if your netmap includes are in a non-standard place, you will have to
set NETMAP_INCLUDES to that location on the libuinet make command line.

Even given all of the above, you will still have the issue that on trunk,
the epoll support for Linux is currently broken and needs to be updated
(see
http://lists.wanproxy.org/pipermail/wanproxy-wanproxy.org/2013-December/000746.html).
Also, if you want *all* the sample programs to build, a similar fix will
have to be done for the select support.

And finally, beyond a test program or two, libuinet features are currently
not available to exercise generally in the suite of wanproxy programs, as
selection of libuinet as the network backend has yet to be plumbed through
the configuration system.

-Patrick