Bandwidth compression with WanProxy

Linus Gasser list at markas-al-nour.org
Mon Jan 27 11:26:34 PST 2014

Le 27/01/14 18:18, Alex Howe a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to explore the possibility of using wanproxy to compress
> bandwidth for users with poor internet connectivity. I'd like all WAN
> traffic to be proxy'd so performance is enhanced.

+1 for that - and getting Linux-support back ;)

If you have a working setup, I think you could use something like
Openvpn to tunnel all traffic through a given port - would be some kind
of a kludge, but could work:

** client-gateway:
- default route through openvpn-interface (tun0)
- additional route for remote gateway through the internet-interface
- openvpn connects to localhost:1194
- wanproxy listens on localhost:1194 and forwards all traffic to the
remote gateway to port 1195

** remote gateway:
- wanproxy listens on port 1195 and forwards to localhost:1194
- openvpn listens on port 1194 and connects to the internet

did I understand wanproxy's usage correctly here?

Linus