WANProxy performance test

Ahmed Al -Ghafri al-ghafri at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 02:49:36 PDT 2014

Dear Juli,

I have made
a test to touch the performance of WANProxy in virtual environment; I use WANem
to emulate 128 Kbps  and I noticed the
following:

-       The caching technique seems to have a
significant issue where it doesn’t save the bits for long enough time; I tried
to download X file first time then directly download X for the second time and
the caching worked well. But when I download Y file after the first X download
and then try to download X again WANProxy goes to bring the file without using
the cache (the cached X bits no longer present).

-       Also I tried to download excel file for the
second time with little changes in some cells value in the excel sheet,
WANProxy doesn’t show a significant optimization and it downloaded the file
without consideration in the cached bits or at least most of file bits had been
re-downloaded , as it looks like?

What I
ended up for WANProxy is that it does caching for short time and not “true”
bit-level caching. Hope this was configuration related issue and can be fixed.

Here are
the configurations (after help from WANProxy developer):

Clinet:

=======

create codec codec0

set codec0.codec XCodec

activate codec0

create interface if0

set if0.family IPv4

set if0.host "192.168.4.1"   #ip of interface connected to client and
used to reach server

set if0.port "80"
#port number which WANProxy listen to (you can select any port but use
the same port when connect from client)

activate if0

create peer peer0

set peer0.family IPv4

set peer0.host "192.168.1.2"  #ip of WANProxy server which set up in
WANProxy server configuration

set peer0.port "3301" #port of WANProxy server
which set up in WANProxy server configuration

activate peer0

create proxy proxy0

set proxy0.interface if0

set proxy0.interface_codec None  #for WANProxy
client this set as None

set proxy0.peer peer0

set proxy0.peer_codec codec0
#for WANProxy  client this set as
codec0

activate proxy0

Server:

=======

create codec codec0

set codec0.codec XCodec

activate codec0

create interface if0

set if0.family IPv4

set if0.host "192.168.1.2" #Ip of WANProxy
interface connected to the server machine

set if0.port "3301" #port  explained in client

activate if0

create peer peer0

set peer0.family IPv4

set peer0.host "192.168.1.1" #ip address of the
server machine

set peer0.port "80"   #port number of the server machine

activate peer0

create proxy proxy0

set proxy0.interface if0

set proxy0.interface_codec codec0  #for WANProxy server   this set as codec0

set proxy0.peer peer0

set proxy0.peer_codec None
#for WANProxy server   this set as
None