WANproxy stability and its memory management

Alain-Pierre Perrin apperrin at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 10 09:21:16 PDT 2014

Hello Juli.

First of all, thank you for your quick and very elaborate reply. I can
see some activity in the SVN repository those days and I intend to test
as soon as possible your last refinements in memory control... but on
Linux (with gcc (GCC) 4.9.0 20140507), since revision 1439 (and up to
today's version, which is 1456), the compilation of wanproxy keeps
failing (with or without your little additional patch) with this error
:

[...]
g++ -I../.. -Wno-deprecated -Wnon-virtual-dtor -include common/common.h -pipe -O -g -W -Wall -Wno-system-headers -Wno-uninitialized -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunused-parameter -Wchar-subscripts -Wreorder -DTHREADS -c -o wanproxy_config_class_codec.o wanproxy_config_class_codec.cc
In file included from wanproxy_config_class_codec.cc:32:0:
../../xcodec/xcodec_cache.h: In member function ‘virtual BufferSegment* XCodecMemoryCache::lookup(const uint64_t&)’:
../../xcodec/xcodec_cache.h:225:27: erreur: invalid initialization of reference of type ‘XCodecMemoryCache::CacheEntry&’ from expression of type ‘const XCodecMemoryCache::CacheEntry’
   CacheEntry& entry = it->second;
                           ^
../../common/program.mk:103: recipe for target 'wanproxy_config_class_codec.o' failed
make: *** [wanproxy_config_class_codec.o] Error 1

My system programming skills in C/C++ are basically zero. I wish I could
help you more... Of all the possible causes I see 3 of them :
* A new and missing (at least on my computer) dependency
* Different behavior and tolerance of compilers
* Subtle inter OS (BSD / Linux) differences

Thanks again for your efforts.

Alain-Pierre