Between Compression & Deduplication

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Fri Oct 10 22:29:44 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Ahmed Al -Ghafri <al-ghafri at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Juili,
> Some questions in the configuration scenarios are in my mind. If I can get
> answer from your side I would be thankful.
>
> *1)* Is possible to have  optimization techniques: Compression +
> Deduplication working together? if yes, how WANProxy can manage whether to
> compress or to deduplicate data?

It may be worth using Google to try to find some previous posts on this in
the list archives as I'm sure I've given more detailed responses than I
will at present, but in short: if you look at the SSH example, for
instance: http://wanproxy.org/ssh.shtml

You'll see that for each half of the proxy ("interface" and "peer" for
obtuse reasons) you can assign a codec.  That codec may be configured with
either XCodec (which does deduplication) or no codec (so no deduplication),
as well as with a compressor.  The compression uses zlib, and you can set
the compression level, so that e.g. on a low-CPU box you might set it
lower, and on a high-CPU box with a lot of data that benefits from
compression, you may set it higher.  WANProxy manages it by you configuring
it.  Deduplication is done by the data before compression, and then the
deduplicated data is compressed.  Does that answer your question?

> *2)* Can I enable  Compression + Deduplication bidirectionally? I mean
> can I do optimization both up stream & down stream from client to server &
> server to client?

You can configure the codecs to do whatever you want in either direction,
compression and deduplication or just compression or just deduplication or
neither, and you can configure each direction separately.