WAN Acceleration Techniques used in WANProxy?

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Tue Sep 15 17:57:28 PDT 2009

Hi Kevin,

Right now just dictionary compression.  Because connections are
proxied through the TCP stack on both sides of a proxy, it is possible
that any TCP improvements in e.g. Linux or FreeBSD network stack would
be applied to the connection.  The goal is to keep WANProxy
multi-platform and to not develop a large feature set that is
restricted to one or two platforms, so any really specialized TCP
modifications seem unlikely, but any semi-portable improvements (like
disabling and reenabling Nagle when there is more data pending) could
be implemented.  QoS and protocol-specific optimizations are possible,
but I don't have the time to work on them and don't know anyone else
who is looking at doing them with WANProxy.  Traffic Squeezer does
some things with HTTP, but I can't imagine that it does anything
particularly in the spirit of WAN Optimization (i.e. not caching)
which would also be a marked improvement over dictionary compression.

Thanks,
Juli.