Transparent TCP proxy

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Mon May 16 11:40:37 PDT 2016

Hello, Sreenaath,

Full transparent proxy support is not yet implemented.  There is some
missing configuration glue, some of which is fairly substantial.  It
could be done in a short period of time, but so far there hasn't quite
been enough interest.  Also, there's the matter of the fact that
support for packet interfaces is OS-specific, and where I'm most
familiar with netmap (which would support both FreeBSD and Linux; I've
been maintaining substantial code bases using netmap for years),
there's the matter of users possibly not wanting to be so limited, so
we'd want pcap/BPF as well, and it's a question of which to
prioritize.  Netmap also gives you the option of doing your filtering
in another application and using VALE to route packets to the proxy.
And so on.  If there's an interest in making that work happen, I'm
willing to do it.  I think if you search the mailing list archives you
may find past discussions about this.

It's possible to use OS-provided features usually to redirect some
connections to WANProxy, so you wouldn't have full transparency, but
also wouldn't require configuration of proxies on each client.  I
believe redsocks is one of the more popular mechanisms for routing
traffic into WANProxy, but others may have their own suggestions.

Thanks,
Juli.